Zesty Tomato Soup – small batch
Sometimes you don’t need so much tomato soup; just enough to compliment your grilled cheese sandwich. Here is a smaller batch for you.
Zesty Tomato Soup
Serves 10 (1 cup servings)
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 40 min
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup roughly chopped onion
2 Tbsp minced garlic or 2 smashed garlic cloves
1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dry basil
1/4 – 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes (can always add more or less for spice)
56 oz stewed canned tomatoes, diced tomatoes, or whole canned/crushed tomatoes (a little more or less is fine to match up with a whole can)
1 can (6 oz) of tomato paste
1 quart (4 cups) vegetable stock
(optional) – to add an extra kick, toothpick swirl of Black Pepper Vitality essential oil
(optional) – to make it creamy, add a drizzle of heavy cream to finish
- Preheat a saucepan to medium heat.
- Add oil to pre-heat
- Sauté the onions and garlic with the oil in a large stock pot for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add all the dry seasonings (1/2 Tbsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp dry basil, 1/4 – 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes) and the can of tomato sauce for another minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and diced/stewed tomatoes.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Use your immersion blender to make the soup smooth to your liking (I actually like some chunks left in it!).
- (optional) – to add an extra kick, toothpick swirl of Black Pepper Vitality essential oil
- (optional) – to make it creamy, add a drizzle of heavy cream before serving
So the big question is… do you have a desire to instantly have grilled cheese with your tomato soup?!?! Do you top your soup with anything fun or fancy? Tell us in the comments below!