Spicy Pumpkin Soup – the perfect cold weather comfort food
Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Total time: 45 minutes
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter (Vegan option: use avocado oil)
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 (15 oz) cans of 100% pumpkin or 6 cups roasted pumpkin or squash*
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk (Vegan option: coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (Vegan option: full fat coconut cream)
- up to 1 tsp salt (optional, taste first before adding! Add 1/4 tsp at a time)
- Melt butter or heat avocado oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, stirring often for about 4 minutes
- Add spices and stir for another minute.
- Add pumpkin/squash and 5 cups of broth; mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 min.
- EITHER use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth OR transfer soup in batched to a blender or food processor, cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return to saucepan.
- With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring. Add cream and taste. If necessary, add salt a pinch at a time – I usually don’t need to add any salt.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Add more cream if too spicy.
*To make roasted pumpkin or squash: cut a sugar pumpkin or squash of choice in half. Scoop out seeds and stringy stuff. Life face down on a lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 until soft (45-60 min). Cool, scoop out flesh.
Watch the video tutorial for this recipe HERE:
September 1, 2022
April 21, 2022