Homemade meatballs make me so happy but the amount of work that usually goes into them can be a deterrent. I adapted this easy InstantPot (IP) recipe to be GF and DF, and best of all it doesn’t require browning beforehand. The raw meatballs just go into the sauce and cook up perfectly. Magic!
~read to the end for a modification if an InstantPot is not available~
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 c. grated onion
- 1/2 c. (gluten free or regular) bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. nutritional yeast flakes (if you are okay with dairy, you can use 1/2 cup parmesan cheese)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves crushed garlic (2 tsp)
- 2 Tbsp cashew milk (or other milk that you like)
- 1 tsp salt (less if you prefer)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, or 1 drop of oregano vitality essential oil
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 c. spaghetti sauce, may need to be thinned with 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water (pasta water preferred) to prevent burning in the IP
- Avocado oil (or other cooking oil) for greasing the pot
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine all ingredients (except spaghetti sauce and water) until well mixed. Clean hands are the best mixing tool but a fork works too.
- Form into balls using hands or small ice cream scoop. You want them to be slightly smaller than a golf ball and rolled pretty well so they hold their shape when stacked on top of each other in the IP.
- Brush a small amount of cooking oil on the bottom of the pot and add a layer of spaghetti sauce (thinned with water if desired).
- Place meatballs over the sauce, layering them if necessary. It’s OK if they touch, just don’t squish them too much. Keep layering sauce and meatballs until the meat is all used up.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and switch valve to “sealing”. Press “Manual” and set to high pressure for 7 minutes.
- After you hear the timer go off, allow to natural release for another 5 minutes, then do the quick release (you do this by carefully switching the tab to “venting”).
- Remove lid from Instant Pot, stir, and serve over cooked pasta noodles or on a hoagie roll as a meatball sub.
- Optional: top with fresh chopped parsley
What if you don’t have an InstantPot: these can be done in a slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6 hours. Check for doneness by pulling a meatball out and cutting it open.
Alternatively, you can place them on an oiled baking sheet WITHOUT SAUCE – roll the meatballs and set them on the oiled baking sheet in a single layer. Place in 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes until golden brown. Check for doneness and bake longer if necessary.